1. You’re beautiful. And so is the girl standing next to you, and the one standing next to her. Don’t ever listen to anyone who tells you otherwise because they’re wrong.
2. There are no such things as Mean Girls. Sometimes some girls can behave in a mean way, but it’s important to know that no one is inherently and unchangeably mean. Every day brings another chance at friendship. Find it within your heart to offer everyone a second chance.
3. Cry when you need to. There’s no suck it up here. I’ll never tell you to stop crying. You feel those feels, girlfriend. A good hard cry can be cathartic for the soul.
4. Don’t just run your own race, win it. On your own winding track, it’s not just important not to compare yourself to others; it’s also important to challenge yourself and do your personal best.
5. Stay passionate, optimistic and strive. Right now there’s this trend going around not to care less. I’m telling you, no one ever reached success by being apathetic and indifferent. You are passionate about every single thing right now and I hope you never extinguish that fire in your belly in order to conform to a fad. Find the good in the world. Don’t expect the worst in an attempt to minimise or avoid disappointment. Heartbreak is an unavoidable part of life. Don’t quell that amazing array of emotions inside you, each one is part of the human experience.
6. When you know you’re right, don’t back down. Stand up for yourself. If you perceive injustice, say something, or better yet, do something. Your voice can be powerful.
7. Keep being extra at every opportunity. Don’t dial yourself down. There’s room for all sorts! You’re a bit of an extravert and that’s just perfect. Don’t change. Recognise that not everyone is the same. You might have to listen a little more carefully to some of your friends who aren’t as out there. They’ve got great stuff to say, too.
8. Family is everything. Love your mob fiercely. You are intuitively caring and the world needs more love.
9. It’s ok if we fight. Right now it’s about you not wanting your hair brushed or you wanting to wear something that’s in the dirty washing pile, or you wanting to eat licorice allsorts for breakfast. I realise those things are important to you. Our arguments can get very heated so I know that in the future when we clash it’s going to be explosive. We will be ok when the dust settles. I can handle it. I’ve got this.
10. Live your life surrounded by exceptional women and girls. You’re off to a great start. The first women you knew (my mother and my sisters in law) are incredible sources of inspiration. My friends (your aunties) are women who have been with us since long before you were born. Their daughters love you. Female friendships are so important. There was a time when I didn’t think so, but I’m so glad I discovered just how much quality girlfriends enrich our lives.
Blaire wears the Marcy Picnic dress, a one of a kind garment kindly gifted by Lacey Lane. It features a dropped waist and concealed zip front closure. The Picnic style dress is previously unseen.